InDesign Intro

In this intro, InDesign was a completely new experience for me. I had never used this software before, however as I grew to grasp the concepts and tools, I recognised many of the tools and buttons (for shortcuts) were the same as Photoshop.

screen-shot-2016-11-02-at-15-13-17
First layout with everything on the page
screen-shot-2016-11-02-at-15-13-33
Started to change fonts and styles
screen-shot-2016-11-02-at-15-12-07
Changed sizing of characters.
screen-shot-2016-11-02-at-15-12-02
Added a colour to the background so it wasn’t boring to look at.

As you can see from above, these are the staged I took to get the final piece. I started with having all of the information on the page and then I could see what I was working with and what I wanted to do. I started with the authors name, I made it the biggest part on the page, so the first thing you look at is the name “Paul Arden”. Then change the colour of the first letters of his forename and surname to red, make it  eye catching a different as it’ll be the only red on the page. I then continued to paragraphing section, leaving the questions separate and in bold, then underneath would be the answers to the questions. I changed the background colour to a yellow-gold colour, I was unsure as to what colour would fit best, so I used the colour scale and played around with all different colour and the yellow seemed the most flattering colour to be used in contrast with the red and black writing.

screen-shot-2016-11-09-at-14-51-14screen-shot-2016-11-09-at-14-58-12

Now, this is the landscape version of the same text as before. I wanted to have the layout different, but keeping similar features. Such as keeping the questions in bold with the answers underneath and the authors name at the top in bold and being the biggest text on the page. However in this version I added at the bottom the authors name, again, but also where this text has come from. I laid it out having a nice clean white boarder going around, then also leaving space around the width of the text. I aligned the title and book reference both on the right side, whilst having the main text aligned on the left side of the page. This was the divid the beginning and end to the middle part, the most important text on the left side, which is the correct side if you were to read a book (or anything else for that matter).

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Above is a slideshow of various screenshots of the transformation of my portrait design of text b. The text is about failing, and how it is OK to fail. Therefore I decided to use pictures as the background of humans failing at simple / funny things, so the first one being the goat jumping at the person and the person being scared. Then a skeleton in the desert, someone has clearly failed at trying to stay alive. All of the pictures have a reason behind them failing, and they can all be interpreted differently. Originally I structured the writing across five pictures, however as you can see in the screenshots of the rollercoaster picture, black writing didn’t work and neither did only white writing, therefore I had to cut half of the text in half and use another picture.

Above are my final creations, as you can see to maintain consistency, I made all of the texts have half white writing and half black writing. Also I highlighted important ant phrases at the beginning and end in red, so these stand out when people read the text which is the most important parts of the text. I wanted to make the pictures fun and interesting to look at whilst the text in quite serious, have these two opposites combined to make it different.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I picked pictures of animals this time, to fit with the theme of humans “fucking up”, I chose to have the slight same theme with humans and animal failing. As you can see, I put most of the text onto the page to see what I was working with and straight away I knew I had to cut most of the text and have it in separate pages. Also seeing the black text wouldn’t work, therefore I changed it to white font and realised it was still difficult to see in places. That’s why I added black shading behind the text to make it stand out and making it readable. This was eventually the same difficulty I had with each of the photos, I needed to add the shading so you could read all of the text, this then allowed me to maintain structure and make it appealing to the audience.

This is the final outcome, used the shading for the title and authors name, having a clear layout of the text being at the bottom or top of the page so you’re able to see all of the picture. I wanted to have similarities with the portrait version, of the pictures being funny whilst the text in serious and meaningful.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s